- REGION: Emilia-Romagna
- ADDRESS: Via Foro Boario 42
- Opening: annual
- GPS: 44°25’31.0″N 11°54’28.0″E – 44.425279, 11.907789
- SERVICES: none
- COST/24H: free
- AVAILABLE PLACES: 10
- DISTANCE FROM CITY CENTRE OR TOURISTIC LOCATION: 900 mt. from historical centre
- SURFACE: asphalt and self-locking bricks
- DIFFERENTIATED WASTE COLLECTION: no waste collection
- VISIT DATE: February 3, 2021
- AUTHOR OF THE VISIT: Seimetri.it
February 3, 2021 – Lugo is an important center (over 30,000 inhabitants) in the province of Ravenna, which has no shortage of reasons for a visit, starting with the Estense Castle, passing through the museum of the aviator Francesco Baracca. The presence of the Parco del Loto, a former clay quarry which has become of great naturalistic interest, adds reasons of interest.
Also considering that you are in the hospitable (camperistically speaking) Romagna, one would expect a worthy welcome. Instead, the place called “Punta Sosta Camper” is not at all up to it. Indeed, it really seems, as a traveling tourists, to be hidden in a corner. Located at the entrance to the park and (fortunately) and less than a kilometer from the town hall, it is a simple parking lot with about 10 stalls, mostly too short for a camper. The place is also quite hidden and isolated, which also raises some doubts about night safety.
At the service of the camper, apart from the ground on which the wheels rest, not even a trivial waste bin. One wonders therefore what is the reason why a tourist should go and lock himself up in this desolate corner when normal parking lots are plentiful throughout the city.
ADDENDUM – After sharing this review on social media, we have received many negative comments, which show us how good it is to have a dedicated area, as we cannot expect anything more than two lines on the ground in an area called “Punto sosta”. We have therefore decided to add some clarifications, which we also publish here.
- Nothing can be deduced from the name “Punto Sosta” (stopping point). I was aware that there were no loading and unloading and I never thought that they must necessarily be there. But if the name given to it is that I expect it to be an area suitable for campers.
- I don’t know if the name “Punto Sosta Camper” derives from the way in which Google Maps labels the parking spaces reserved for motorhomes, but the same name is also found on apps such as Park4Night, which suggests an adequate area. I am not aware that car parks are called “Punto Sosta Auto”, so I feel quite free to interpret this name as something other than parking spaces reserved to motorhomes.
- The car park in question is located in an area fairly close to the center, but completely hidden from view and isolated. Above all surrounded by fields full of rubble: it does not make a good impression and does not convey safety. If we had more time, we would have left and for a daytime stop we would not leave our motorhome there.
- Almost all stalls are inadequate in size for motorhomes over 6 meters in length and there is no place for the overhang to protrude onto a flower bed or lawn.
- No special equipment was required, but at least litter bins (ideally the bins for recycling, knowing what the function of a motorhome is).
- Lugo di Ravenna has no parking problems for recreational vehicles, which therefore can park wherever they want (in compliance with the Traffic Laws) in places where you feel safer. I see no reason why campers should be “invited” to go to an area like that.
It is therefore not a question of “claims” or incorrect interpretations: I really believe that the administration of Lugo has misidentified the methods of welcoming the itinerant tourist.
Here you can read our yardstick for rest areas rates.
©2021 seimetri.it – If you want to leave a comment on this article, you can do it on our Facebook page